Monday, September 14, 2009

1st Baptism

Ayy. What a week. Huge ups and huge downs. This week we had our first baptism, while I've been in the area. It was great, her name is Cecilia Velez, shes a rock. She was ready to baptised a month and half ago but the week of her baptism she fell and broke her arm. Adversity trying to stop her, but she stuck through it and was baptized this past saturday. She lives on the floor below us and is the nicest lady ever. She invited her family to the baptism and the confirmation. Ha, I had to do the baptism 3 times because her broken arm was fighting to stay above the water. but we got it. It was great. We started talking with her son-in-law this week, whom has been separted from her daughter for the last two months from gambling problems. We taught about repentence the first lesson and it went really well. I´m pumped. Nobody can deny the need for Another to lift the burdens and guilt of sin, and it can only be done through Christ. Sometimes we need to fall to understand how much we need Christ in our lives.
We also have some great new investagors, two of which are very close with great members so its sweet. One of them Andreli we met from our English Classes. Ha our first lesson was at her house and we walked up and I was positive that Mr. T was in her house. It was nuts. Turns out he´s a boxer here in Colombia, and he looks exactly like Mr. T. He was a character. He had this sweet huge poster of him with this mean face in the ring. it rocked. I wanted it.
So this week has been full of dealing with the marriages of Reynaldo and Nancy, Yohonny and Amanda. Elder Reynoso found Rey and Nancy from knocking doors. Turns out that Rey is a member, and after listening Nancy was super ready to baptized and Rey was reactived. It's been great. The only problem is dealing with their marriage. Rey first had to get divorced and so we´ve been dealing with the papers. He had to go to three cities outside of Bucaramanga to get it all figured out. But its all good now. They're ready to get married and to have the baptism this following week. I´m praying everything will stay in place. Ah and Yohonny. ayy. we´ve been in and out of marriage talk since I´ve been here. We had finally had it all figured out. Both of these families don´t have the money to pay for the papers and the wedding so the bishop and the ward are helping out. But one condition is that they need to be baptised in the same day as the wedding, cause the bishop has paid for weddings before where the people had him pay for the wedding, then peaced out and never came to the baptism. I don´t think this would be the case with Yohonny, but the bishop wants to do it this way. So the last two days have been rough working with Yohonny and Amanada. Yohonny is super strong and Amanda thinks she needs to wait tell December to be baptized, and also said she will only get baptised with Yohnny. So its been really rough dealing with this for the past two days. Then today she got mad, felt like we were pushing her, and called everything off, and Yohnny is going along with her, feels like he needs to wait for her. He came up to our room like two hours ago and told us what Amanda said and that we shouldn´t come by for now. Broke my heart. wow, haven´t felt like that really, just rejected. punched in the face. He told us ¨muchas gracias, but we cant do this right now¨. But I knew we could´nt just give up. We prayed, and we prayed, and I felt we really needed to talk with him and Amanda tonight. We talked with him again, and he said we can call when he´s at home. I hope he follows through. I cannot let him throw away what he knows is true. He loves the book of Mormon. He´s read through 2nd nephi in the past three weeks. He want´s to be baptized, but he just wont stick up to his girlfriend. He told us he was going to wait tell December to be baptised, but I know that if he isn´t baptized this month. it won´t happen. Its too much time for Satan to work and pick at him. He is truely one of the elect. So part of me feels like I did something or said something wrong. But like nephi said (i know in whom i have trusted). I know that he is with me and I have faith that his will will be done.
I hope all is well at home, love you all so much. And am so greatful for our family and what it is built upon. Nothing has been harder so far, and from what E. Reynoso said for him as well, then to keep families together. Families are central to God´s plan, thus Satan is attacking them with all he´s got.
sorry if this is short, this just happened, so to be honest my mind is elsewhere.

with love from colombia,

Elder Adams

No comments:

Post a Comment