Monday, November 30, 2009

Escogidos (the elect)

If an angry stomach is part of thanksgiving, then I felt a little home here for thanksgiving day. Ha! But not worries. I´m doing sooo good! Oh and of course, what was literally a piece from home was I got the package on Thursday! THANKS IT ROCKED! I'm looking for microwave so I can enjoy the feast! Haha honestly it wasn´t till the day before that I realized that thanksgiving was coming when someone asked me `what is that big holiday you have in your country tomorrow?` I wasn´t sure at first. How quick one forgets their roots right?

Well I´d like to take some time to talk about how funny Mom is. Oh gosh. She cracked me up with her comments about the BYU football game. Oh soo good. I´ll now refer to her letter so you can get a taste of the brilliance!

´´ The weather was great I only got cold at the end of the game.
Dad and Mike said it was the worst officiated game they had ever
seen. But they have said that before (HA! SHE´S BRILLIANT!). Utah started out strong with
two field goals but BYU rallied with a field goal and a couple touch
downs. BYU lead most of the game until the last 3 or 4 minutes and
then they got a touch down and some field goals the game was tied at
20 20 with a minute left. Utah got a field goal and BYU came back to
win with a touch down. What a exciting game! I was so glad they won
because Mike would have been grouchy all night (GOLDEN!!).``



While in bed actually reading a talk by Elder Oaks, he talks about how many times, we ´have omitted the weightier matters of the law` (Matt 23:23)

I believe that when we are studying the góspel, and our mind wanders, so much of this is done by the power of the Spirit, which brings to our mind the things He wants us to know. When I was reading this article my mind wandered to when I was young and was on a handful of sports teams and was dependent on Mom for a ride. I thought about how when she was late I would think that the world was litteraly going to end if I wasn´t on time, thus I was very impatient, and often at times rude when she did, as always come. I looked back and realized that I was defiantly omitting the weightier things. I´m pretty sure nothing ever happened from me being late, I actually can´t even remember a result. But what I do remember is my impatience and rudeness. How often is this the case, that we omit the things that really matter, like how we treat others and the development of our character, for things that we think are important at the time. I know at least I do. So mom, i´m sorry for the follies of my youth, and thank all of you for your patience with me.

This week more than any, I learned that God does prepares people to be taught. I didn´t have very many lessons this week, but of the few I did I met some of the children that Heavenly Father has prepared to accept his gospel. In Spanish we call them ¨escogidos¨ (or the elect). As we began to talk about the events the Lord´s hand began to be shown, They didn´t exactly recognize it when they were talking to us, but I knew, and as missionaries we try to help them recognize that call from God. I thank Him everynight for the opportunity to be able to do that. One of the examples was of a great women named Luz Maria. She grew up Protestant, stopped attending that church. Was married and started attending the Catholic church with her Husband, but didn´t like the repetition of prayers, which she felt was contrary to exact nature of prayer. Then she went to a Evanglical church, with a big rock band and screaming and yelling. She knew she couldn´t feel the spirit in that atmosphere, she then got tired of her churches and decided that she as going to just read the bible for her shelf. Two weeks ago her daughter told her that a Church would help her feel more at peace. She then, at that moment, remembered a friend from 8 years ago that was a member and what good things that she had said about her church. She asked the people around the church to find out when it opened. She was there at that time. She felt the peace, felt the love of the members, knew the doctrine was true. It might very while be that Luz Maria won´t miss another Sunday. I know what Elder Brent Nielson said in General Conference is true. ``The need has never been greater. The field has never been whiter. You are called to go “this last time” (Jacob 5:62). There is no greater work; there is no greater call than teaching “all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost” (Matthew 28:19)``.

I love this work. I love this people. I love you all.

Feliz dia,

Elder Adams

No comments:

Post a Comment