Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Idaho of Colombia

querida familia mia,

Business first: I recieved my change last night, it was different than what they had told me, nevertheless, i'm pumped. I'm going to the department above where i am serving, about four hours away from bogota, called sogamoso, boyaca. boyaca, is like the idaho of colombia : too many potatoes. I'm going to be helping out a district of us and sister missionaries. ha always an adventure dealing with sister missionaries. I'll be with a peruvian that has like 7 months in the mission. it's going to be the best.

Yes. or better, Yes! i was able to watch all sessions of conference. We had to leave my beloved faca for a couple days, to hear the voice of the Lord through his servants ths prophets, in Bogota. Our chapel house just isn't equipped with a satellite.

We need conference more often, one because there the most revelation packed days of my year, and two, because my WHOLE family write me. I'll have to send a letter.

Can you believe i only have one left before i come home? woah.

Anyways I loved every last bit of conference. And was able to watch 3/5 of it in english. I love spanish, but alot is lost in translation, especially jokes. Ha, i always feel sorry for the translators when Pres. Monson talks, because he always says things he didn't have planned. There was a good three minutes when the prophet began to talk and the interpreters took turns translating off hand what he was saying. Also, i love words, especially their words, and it just doesn't have the eloquence in the quickly translated spanish. So i'm grateful to be able to know english to hear the words directly from the prophet of God in the language of the restoration.


I loved all your conference highlights. I too, as well as my brother, liked what Pres. Erying said.. ”You show your trust in Him when you listen with the intent to learn, to repent, and then go and do whatever He asks.”

That is faith. I believe that most of leave conference with the desire to be better, but what matters most is that we do whatever it takes to come closer to the Lord.

and like all others, i loved this line by Pres. Monson. “Sincerely giving thanks not only helps us recognize our blessings, but it also unlocks the doors of heaven and helps us feel God’s love.” His talk made me think of my own prayers, which for the Lord might sound something like---give me give me give me. I felt the need to express my gratitude to others, and above all to God.


I also loved when Elder Holland spoke about a elderly women who said ”I've never been a leader in anything in the Church, i guess i've only been a helper”

He followed by saying bless your soul sister. It made me think alot about this sunday night phone call of changes. Some with aspirations to be a sr. companion, a district leader, a zone leader, etc. And when they don't receive what they wanted, they began to look at who received what they wanted, and target and criticize them. And i realize, what does that position matter? This sister is so much better of then when we think were great for the things that we've accomplished or think we should accomplish.

During the Saturday morning and afternoon sessions, I had a surprise baptismal interview outside of my district. His name is Juan, he's 12 years old. In what i thought was going to be a very casual interview turned out to be the most powerful one yet.

Juan had lost his father a couple months ago, and the hope of the gospel had brought them to the missionaries. I asked Juan, why he wanted to get baptized, without a second's delay, he told me so that he can be sealed to his Dad and family. I was overwhelmed by the Spirit showing me the love that Juan had for his dad, and his dad for him. We talked about how maybe his dad had to leave this earth for a relatively short time so that they can be together forever. I left so thankful for the experience that our Heavenly Father had given me to feel literally the prophesy of Malachi in action...

and he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers.

What a blessing we have to have a sealed family of generations upon generations. I want to follow what it says on the tombstone of the mother of Pres. Erying, ” Please, no empty seats.”

i love you all. and i'm so grateful for all that you do and have done for me.

e. adams

No comments:

Post a Comment